20 February 2010

Bright Star

Bo-ring.

Jane Campion's movie about John Keats and his love affair with Fanny Brawne (it's much funnier, when watching the movie, to imagine they're saying "prawn") is undeniably beautiful, visually. The colors are gorgeous, the photography is breathtaking, and everyone just looks nice. Unfortunately, being pretty is not enough to be entertaining, and the movie is a total snooze.

Part of the problem, for me, is that I don't particularly like Keats' poetry. I understand its importance and all that, but it really doesn't do much for me. So in the multiple scenes where various characters recite it, I'm not especially enthralled - which I think I'd need to be, for the movie to work. Some of the love letters are actually beautiful, but the poetry? Meh.

I will say though, that aspects of the film are incredibly romantic, especially given that the couple apparently never had sex. They make kissing look like a real treat (no tongue even!), and there is a wonderful sensuality to the two lovers caressing the wall that divides them.

But yeah, the movie is boring.

No comments: